Skip to main content

Low Country Seafood boil





So I just got back from vacation on the Outer Banks. We stayed in Carova beach where you needed a 4x4 to drive down the beach to get to the house we rented. It was amazing! There were wild horses on the beach, a beautiful sunrise every morning and I even saw a school of dolphins swimming and fishing for their dinner. I hated to leave. But, on the way home, we stopped and picked up some fresh shrimp and clams just off the boat. ( I bought other seafood as well, but that will wait for another meal!)

So what do I make when I get home and it's it cold and dreary out? Yup, a low country seafood boil to remind me of the past week on the beach.

I didn't need to make a lot, so I used 3 ears of corn, shucked and broken into pieces and red potatoes, I used 3 large cut into chunks.

I put that in a large pot, added a red onion cut into chunks, rinsed my 2 lbs of shrimp, and 50 clams. One all in the pot, I added one can of beer, and then covered the rest with water. I added about 4 oz of Old Bay seasoning, a Tablespoon of blackened seasoning, a teaspoon of chicken bullion and a teaspoon of black pepper. I juiced a lemon and added the rind as well.



Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. In the meantime, I took a stick of butter and added 2 cloves of garlic and melted that in the microwave.


Once the potatoes are tender, I drained the whole pot in a colander and put it back into the cooking pot. I then poured the melted butter and garlic over the whole pot of food.

It was enough to feed at least 4 people! Great Flavor and I got my seafood fix!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shepard's Pie

OK so, maybe it doesn't look that delectable but it WAS! Very tasty, and perfect winter comfort food! I cut up potatoes and put them in water to boil to make the mashed potatoes. In the meantime I browned up about 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. Added onion celery and carrots, a cup of water, and 2 beef bullion cubes. I also added some frozen corn. You can add peas as well. I cut up 2 springs of Rosemary and some fresh Thyme added to the meat mixture. I then added a packet of brown gravy and a little bit more water and let simmer. Oh and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 375. While that was simmering I drained and mashed up the potatoes. Adding milk, butter, and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish and then spread the mashed potatoes gently on top. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese on top bake an addition 5 minutes. Serve!

Empanadas

Empanadas...they're delicious and the kids love them!! I never have leftovers when making these. If I have some they disappear before morning. You can put different fillings in, I made beef this time. I first browned up hamburger meat 1.5 lbs, I diced up an onion and put that in and then I added a can of green chiles. Now you can add peas, which I like but the boys aren't super fans of peas in general. I add pepper and the key ingredient: Goya Adobo. It's a Hispanic all purpose seasoning which is fabulous! I use it in a variety of dishes and always have it on hand. I add some cilantro. I also added some cheese not a lot about 3/4 cup. You can add it individually when filling the empanadas or not add cheese at all up to you. I used Monterey Jack but a white cheese is what you use when making cheese empanadas.   I actually let the meat mixture cool down before filling them. it makes it easier to stuff the empanadas because the dough gets soft and then br...

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce

So.... I still have some sauce left, hmmm I guess I'll make Linguine with Red Clam sauce. It's actually one of my favorites and I order it many times when eating out. It doesn't require a lot of sauce so if you only have a little left and aren't sure what to do with it, this is a good meal to make. Quick too! It doesn't take long because the hard part is done. You can make white clam sauce from this as well, just leave the red out and add a few more spices. Anyway, I melted a couple tablespoons of butter and added about 3 cloves of garlic. I used 2 cans of whole cherrystone clams and 1 can of chopped. If it were summer I'd use fresh but.... it's not and they are wayyy expensive right now. I add the clam juice in as well. Then I add about 1-2 cups of my homemade sauce. I like it with a little kick so I chopped up one those red peppers from the other day to it also. You can add white wine, red wine or beer to this. I like beer, about oz. simmer it al...