Skip to main content

Jerk Chicken with Coconut Rice and Beans


This was actually easy and pretty quick to make. I do, however, have to confess that I used jarred jerk sauce not homemade. I did buy hot and it was HOT! I will next time try to make my own and post that.

I used chicken thighs, there were 7. I put them in a ziplock and dumped the jar of jerk seasoning in and lime juice from a lime. I let the chicken marinade for 2 hours. When I was ready to make dinner, I browned the chicken on the stove in a few tables spoons of olive oil on each side. I pre-heated the oven to 350. after I browned the chicken, I placed on a baking pan, added the rest of the marinade from the bag with a little water and put in the oven. I let it bake for about 40 min. Serve with Lime.

For the rice. I used a can of Goya coconut milk. I put on in a measuring cup and got about 2 cups. I used about 1and 1/4 cup of rice so I needed another 1/2 cup of water. I put a teaspoon of bullion in the coconut milk and brought to a boil. I added the rice turned it down and simmered until the rice was cooked. I cut up fresh cilantro and stirred it in. Done

In the meantime, I rinsed a can of black beans put in a pot added about a quarter cup of water. I added some Badia pinto bean seasoning and simmered.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce

So.... I still have some sauce left, hmmm I guess I'll make Linguine with Red Clam sauce. It's actually one of my favorites and I order it many times when eating out. It doesn't require a lot of sauce so if you only have a little left and aren't sure what to do with it, this is a good meal to make. Quick too! It doesn't take long because the hard part is done. You can make white clam sauce from this as well, just leave the red out and add a few more spices. Anyway, I melted a couple tablespoons of butter and added about 3 cloves of garlic. I used 2 cans of whole cherrystone clams and 1 can of chopped. If it were summer I'd use fresh but.... it's not and they are wayyy expensive right now. I add the clam juice in as well. Then I add about 1-2 cups of my homemade sauce. I like it with a little kick so I chopped up one those red peppers from the other day to it also. You can add white wine, red wine or beer to this. I like beer, about oz. simmer it al...

Shepard's Pie

OK so, maybe it doesn't look that delectable but it WAS! Very tasty, and perfect winter comfort food! I cut up potatoes and put them in water to boil to make the mashed potatoes. In the meantime I browned up about 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. Added onion celery and carrots, a cup of water, and 2 beef bullion cubes. I also added some frozen corn. You can add peas as well. I cut up 2 springs of Rosemary and some fresh Thyme added to the meat mixture. I then added a packet of brown gravy and a little bit more water and let simmer. Oh and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 375. While that was simmering I drained and mashed up the potatoes. Adding milk, butter, and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish and then spread the mashed potatoes gently on top. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese on top bake an addition 5 minutes. Serve!

Empanadas

Empanadas...they're delicious and the kids love them!! I never have leftovers when making these. If I have some they disappear before morning. You can put different fillings in, I made beef this time. I first browned up hamburger meat 1.5 lbs, I diced up an onion and put that in and then I added a can of green chiles. Now you can add peas, which I like but the boys aren't super fans of peas in general. I add pepper and the key ingredient: Goya Adobo. It's a Hispanic all purpose seasoning which is fabulous! I use it in a variety of dishes and always have it on hand. I add some cilantro. I also added some cheese not a lot about 3/4 cup. You can add it individually when filling the empanadas or not add cheese at all up to you. I used Monterey Jack but a white cheese is what you use when making cheese empanadas.   I actually let the meat mixture cool down before filling them. it makes it easier to stuff the empanadas because the dough gets soft and then br...