Skip to main content

Colombian Tamales



My sister's mother-in-law makes Colombian tamales, so hers are the only ones I've ever had and I've watched her make them a few times and they are amazing!! It's been a while since I watched her make them and this is the FIRST time I have ever made them. They came out good for the first time but I would add one more ingredient next time and will tell you when I get to that point. They are a little time consuming but not that bad.

First, I took 7 chicken thighs, and a porch chop put into a bag with a packet of Goya Sazon, a little Italian dressing and let the meat marinate.

Next, I made masarepa. I brought 4 cups of water to a boil and used 2 cups of masarepa and added a Sazon packet in the water.

I then diced up an onion, cut 4 potatoes, a few carrots and added frozen peas. I went light on the peas if my family liked peas, I'd add more. When the masarepa was done cooking, which was only a few minutes. I added that to the cut up vegetables.



This where I would have added Adobo. I felt like it was missing something and this would be where I would add a little more seasoning.

Next I took the bananna leaves which I had defrosted first and opened them up.

I took the marinated meat and cut the thighs in half and cut up the porch chop into pieces.

I cut the bananna leaves into squares placed a heaping spoonful of masarepa mixture onto the leaf, added a piece of pork and then a piece of chicken.


I folded them up and tied them with twine and repeated until all the mixture is used.

I think I remembered that they were put in parchment paper too, I'm not sure but made more sense so they didn't get completely waterlogged. SO, I untied and re-wrapped each one.

 When they were all done, I brought 2 pots of water to a boil and cooked for about an hour and 45 minutes. I wanted to make sure the meat was cooked through. The banana leaves add flavor. that's why you cook them in the leaves.


Cut the twine, grab a fork and eat right out of the leaf!
YUM!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce

So.... I still have some sauce left, hmmm I guess I'll make Linguine with Red Clam sauce. It's actually one of my favorites and I order it many times when eating out. It doesn't require a lot of sauce so if you only have a little left and aren't sure what to do with it, this is a good meal to make. Quick too! It doesn't take long because the hard part is done. You can make white clam sauce from this as well, just leave the red out and add a few more spices. Anyway, I melted a couple tablespoons of butter and added about 3 cloves of garlic. I used 2 cans of whole cherrystone clams and 1 can of chopped. If it were summer I'd use fresh but.... it's not and they are wayyy expensive right now. I add the clam juice in as well. Then I add about 1-2 cups of my homemade sauce. I like it with a little kick so I chopped up one those red peppers from the other day to it also. You can add white wine, red wine or beer to this. I like beer, about oz. simmer it al...

Shepard's Pie

OK so, maybe it doesn't look that delectable but it WAS! Very tasty, and perfect winter comfort food! I cut up potatoes and put them in water to boil to make the mashed potatoes. In the meantime I browned up about 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. Added onion celery and carrots, a cup of water, and 2 beef bullion cubes. I also added some frozen corn. You can add peas as well. I cut up 2 springs of Rosemary and some fresh Thyme added to the meat mixture. I then added a packet of brown gravy and a little bit more water and let simmer. Oh and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 375. While that was simmering I drained and mashed up the potatoes. Adding milk, butter, and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish and then spread the mashed potatoes gently on top. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese on top bake an addition 5 minutes. Serve!

African Chicken

This was the most amazing Chicken!! I actually watched an episode of Diners, Drive ins, and Dives and got the recipe from there. Of course, I didn't have as much cumin as I needed, so I changed and tweaked the recipe and although I never made the original recipe the one I made was fabulous. I use so much Cumin, I need to start buying it in one of those huge containers they sell at BJ's. I thought I had extra down stairs but I didn't. UGH. Anyway here is how I made it. I used 6 thighs and 4 drumsticks I made a paste which was: Cumin about a tablespoon Oregano about 2 tablespoons Pepper teaspoon Salt 2 teaspoons Garlic 1 teaspoon minced Chili powder 1 tablespoon Corriander powder 1 tablespoon mix that together and then add olive oil to make a paste. I put the chicken in 2 aluminum pans and rubbed equal parts of the paste on each piece of chicken until it was gone. I let marinate for an hour. I browned each piece of chicken in a frying pan and then put the ...