Skip to main content

Home made Mac N Cheese

This is, of course, an absolute favorite, not just of mine and kids but friends and family as well so here you have it!. I will try my best to give measurements but keep in mind, I make it different every time, depending on the cheeses I have and of course who I am feeding. Mason likes it with tomatoes, Harrison likes it with bacon. One of my friends is vegetarian so sometimes I make it plan. In short, experiment, try new things with a staple recipe that is sure to please.

I actually, don't start with a rue. I know many people swear by it but I think it makes the mac n cheese, well, grainy. I start with cream cheese. I use a whole brink, yup 8 oz. I cut it into cubes so it melts better. cut it right into the pan, add some milk, enough to cover the bottom, about a cup. I use a whisk and as the cream cheese starts to melt I add a little more milk about another cup. This will start your cream sauce. Use a low heat, you never want this to come to a boil. I start to add my cheeses, stirring until the cheese melts before adding more. I used 16 oz of seriously sharp cheese, about 4 oz of swiss and about 2 oz of gouda (I had some slices left over from Thanksgiving). If this gets too thick, slowly stir in some milk, about another cup. The consistency shouldn't be runny, it should be thick but not stringy. I add some buffalo chicken wing sauce to this. I add a few tablespoons to this. You add as much or as little to taste. A couple of tablespoons isn't overpowering, it just gives it a little flavor. By no means does it taste like a buffalo mac n cheese. You would need a LOT more.

While you start making your cheese sauce you should put on a pot of salted water for your macaroni. I prefer cellentani, but you can use elbows, small shells, rotini, whatever you have. cook the macaroni until al dente. I made a pound and half. You don't want to overcook since you will be baking it more in the cheese sauce. Once the macaroni is cooked drain and put in baking dish. I add whatever I'm adding directly to the macaroni, NOT the cheese sauce. I used bacon this time, but like I said, I like tomatoes as well and adding to the cheese sauce can change the consistency of the sauce. I used real bacon crumbles about a cup. Again add to taste. Too much can be overpowering.
Then add the sauce, Stir well. 

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes. Done. Enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce

So.... I still have some sauce left, hmmm I guess I'll make Linguine with Red Clam sauce. It's actually one of my favorites and I order it many times when eating out. It doesn't require a lot of sauce so if you only have a little left and aren't sure what to do with it, this is a good meal to make. Quick too! It doesn't take long because the hard part is done. You can make white clam sauce from this as well, just leave the red out and add a few more spices. Anyway, I melted a couple tablespoons of butter and added about 3 cloves of garlic. I used 2 cans of whole cherrystone clams and 1 can of chopped. If it were summer I'd use fresh but.... it's not and they are wayyy expensive right now. I add the clam juice in as well. Then I add about 1-2 cups of my homemade sauce. I like it with a little kick so I chopped up one those red peppers from the other day to it also. You can add white wine, red wine or beer to this. I like beer, about oz. simmer it al...

Shepard's Pie

OK so, maybe it doesn't look that delectable but it WAS! Very tasty, and perfect winter comfort food! I cut up potatoes and put them in water to boil to make the mashed potatoes. In the meantime I browned up about 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. Added onion celery and carrots, a cup of water, and 2 beef bullion cubes. I also added some frozen corn. You can add peas as well. I cut up 2 springs of Rosemary and some fresh Thyme added to the meat mixture. I then added a packet of brown gravy and a little bit more water and let simmer. Oh and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 375. While that was simmering I drained and mashed up the potatoes. Adding milk, butter, and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish and then spread the mashed potatoes gently on top. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese on top bake an addition 5 minutes. Serve!

Quick n Easy Torta Nua

Like cake? Like cheesecake? This is a 2 for 1! Preheat oven to 350. I block of cream cheese softened. 3 eggs put in a bowl and blend. Add 1 lb of Ricotta and blend add 1/2 cup of sour cream. Then add 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp of almond extract, 1/2 tsp of vanilla. Blend Next, in a separate bowl, take a yellow cake mix and make according to box directions. Pour in a greased 9x13 pan. then pour cheese mixture on top Bake for an hour. Let cool, refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Cut and serve.